Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Family Tradition...

The song "Family Tradition" by Hank Williams, Jr. has some very specific feelings attached to it for me.  This may be hard to explain, and most people may not understand...but I will try my best to explain.


When I was little, or young I should say...or both....  my dad was in a band.  Bands, actually.  If you know anything about musicians, bands never stay together long...so he was in several, or a few, I'm not sure.  Anyway, he was a country music bass player.  A good one too.  I loved nothing more than listening to him play music.  I loved nothing more than that special feeling I would get when I would be allowed to go with him to listen to him practice, or go to gigs with him.  I loved it.


One day, I found a hand written note by my dad that I thought was his sort of "diary" entry.  Later, I found out that it was really just lyrics to the song Family Tradition.  I remember feeling all sad thinking my dad felt bad about "Getting stoned" and drinking and smoking.  I remember where I was when I read it.  I remember the feeling.  Strange, huh.  I was very relieved when I realized it was just song lyrics.  :)


When I would later hear him play and sing this song at places, I remember feeling happiness and strangely enough, relief.  Ha!  Like I said, I was little.  Or young.  Or both.


I still love this song.  But it still gives my tummy a weird guilty, sad, happy, relieved feeling.


Now...youtube will not allow any of Hank's videos be used on blogger...so this is close enough. :)




No comments: